|All the below Old Testament/Torah quotations, and commentary, from:
Peter Myers 21 Blair St Watson ACT 2602 Australia
1. "Let peoples serve you, and nations bow down to you" (Genesis 27:29)
2. "I will send my terror in front of you, and throw into confusion all the people against whom you shall come ... Little by little I will drive them out from before you, until you have increased and possess the land" (Exodus 23:27-9; also see 34:24)
3. "Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, for by all these practices the nations I am casting out before you have defiled themselves" (Leviticus 18:24)
4. "As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. You may also acquire them from the aliens residing with you ..." (Leviticus 25:44-5)
5. "When the LORD your God brings you into the land that you are about to enter and occupy, and he clears away many nations before you ... and the LORD your God gives them over to you and you defeat them, then you must utterly destroy them" (Deuteronomy 7:1; also see 7:22-4)
6. "You must demolish completely all the places where the nations whom you are about to dispossess served their gods ... Break down their altars, smash their pillars, burn their sacred poles with fire ... and thus blot out their name from their places" (Deuteronomy 12:2-3)
7. "... you will lend to many nations, but you will not borrow; you will rule over many nations, but they will not rule over you" (Deuteronomy 15:6; also see 28:12).
8. The "great" Ezra, builder of the Second Temple, speaks: 'After these things had been done, the officials approached me and said, "The people of Israel, the priests and the levites have not separated themselves from the peoples of the lands with their abominations ... For they have taken some of their daughters as wives for themselves and for their sons. Thus the holy seed has mixed itself with the peoples of the lands ... ." When I heard this, I tore my garment and my mantle, and pulled hair from my head and beard, and sat appalled ... And now, our God, what shall we say after this? For we have forsaken your commandments ... saying, "The land that you are entering to possess is a land unclean with the pollutions of the peoples of the lands ... Therefore do not give your daughters to their sons, neither take their daughters for your sons, and never seek their peace or prosperity ..."' (Ezra 9:1-12).
9. Ezra continues: 'Shecaniah ... addressed Ezra, saying, "We have broken faith with our God and have married foreign women ... So now let us make a covenant with our God to send away all these wives and their children" ... Then Ezra stood up and made the leading priests, the Levites, and all Israel swear that they would do as had been said. So they swore.' (Ezra 10: 2-5).
There are many such passages in the Jewish Bible (to find them, look up the word "nations" in a concordance) ... thus the apartheid basis of Israel, even today.
Is there any other "holy" book like this? Can any non-Jew trust Jewish visions of world brotherhood and peace, given such a foundation? Why does Ben-Gurion, apostle of universalism, pass over such passages? [Here Myers alludes to David Ben-Gurion, first prime minister of Israel]